Weekend Escapes and the Casual Racist.

Weekend escapes are a somewhat of a vacation oddity. You don’t really feel like you’ve taken time off anything, because it’s the weekend anyway, yet you feel invigorated by the feeling of discovering a city in two short days.

There’s something ephemeral and almost hypnotic about it. You don’t even realize you’re in a new city; your mind doesn’t process your short trip to somewhere new. The sights and sounds seem oddly familiar and alien at the same time. They feel mundane because you were sitting at home just hours ago, but in truth they are anything but. You’re in a trance, being pushed along by throngs of tourists in a similar state. And you  start tp go through the motions of visiting the city.

By the time it sinks in that you’re somewhere new and wonderful, it’s Sunday afternoon and it’s time to head home. It happens just as you’re getting your bearings in the city. You’ve figured out the Metro map. You’ve chosen a favorite restaurant, a favorite bar. You’ve picked up a couple of unpronounceable words that can make a local cringe or laugh with you. But it’s time to check out of the hotel, and drag yourself to the airport.

You get that sinking feeling as you approach your gate. Just as landing in a foreign airport for the first time is the closest we can get to rekindling our childlike wonder in our adult lives, the departure gate on your back is probably the starkest reminder available of your adult responsibilities and constraints.

That’s more or less the feeling I’ve always gotten coming back from a weekend, wherever I’m based. Heading back to Beirut, there’s an added level of frustration. Dozens of people who’ve been acting in a perfectly civil manner for the last few days, suddenly revert to their basest instincts. As if to satisfy every cliché, they start trying to queue-jump, they want preferential treatment from staff. “Who’s flying the plane today, is it Zouzou? Tell him it’s Fadi, he loves me. I want to sit in First Class and harass the stewardess for whisky for the next 2 hours. Don’t you know who I am?”

As I flew back from Istanbul on Sunday, after one of the most eye-opening, interesting and fun weekends I’ve had for a while, I had a bemused look on my face as I observed everyone’s slow relapse into a Lebanese state of mind. Once on the plane, things got a little nastier. About 20% of the passengers decided they didn’t like their seats and caused a commotion. Typical situation on a Middle East Airlines flight, right? 300 people want an exit seat and everyone feels entitled to sit next to their 20 friends. But then one man’s request to change seats caught my attention.

It was my girlfriend who pointed him out. There was something odd about the way he stormed away from his seat in disgust. I couldn’t quite figure out what was wrong. Then my girlfriend pointed it out to me: “I’m sure he’s asking to be moved because he’s sitting next to a black man”. I told her that was ridiculous and that can’t possibly be the case. It’s 2011. We’re on a plane on the European continent. Surely no one can possibly be so vile.

Then, to our amazement and shock, the stewardesses asked the black man to move. That’s right, they didn’t reprimand the repugnant Lebanese man for his shocking behavior, they acquiesced to it. They moved a man from his seat to satisfy someone’s bigotry. At first we decided not to say anything, we didn’t want to cause a scene in what is essentially a metal tube hurtling through the air at 600 miles an hour.

But our blood was boiling. I ended up asking the stewardess what had happened exactly, because if it was what we thought it was, it was unacceptable. She dismissed the question, and said the man who’d been asked to move wanted to sit next to his friend. We knew full well this was utter bullshit, since we’d been watching the scene unfold, and he’d asked for nothing.

A few more stewards and a co-pilot showed up asking what the problem was, and we voiced our concern. They said they couldn’t do anything and it was time to take off. Shrugging their shoulders at us, they seemed to say “C’est la vie”.

Twenty minutes later, we were still sitting in a state of stunned disbelief when a stewardess came to tell my girlfriend that the pilot wanted to have a chat in the cockpit, to discuss what had happened. He told her that the disgraceful behavior we’d just witnessed was nothing compared to what happens on Lebanese flights from Dubai or Africa. With a sense of grudging resignation he said that if he wanted to kick every racist off a plane, he’d never take off. She told him this was unacceptable and that someone had to talk about this. He urged us to write something about it. So here I am, writing about it.

It’s hard to express how disgusted I was by this man. How disgusted I was by how justified he felt he was. How disgusted I am that we share the same passport. How disgusted I am that this behavior is tolerated because it is so pervasive.

Lebanese attitudes to race are evident everywhere in Lebanon on a daily basis. In our behavior towards the citizens of Syria, Egypt, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia and beyond who are treated like second class citizens in our country. How can we be proud of a country that abuses the very people that help it function on a daily basis?

We have heard the stories about the abuse of household staff from these countries. Foreign television stations have even dedicated entire documentaries to our institutionalized modern-day slavery. We’ve heard stories of black tourists being denied entry to nightclubs based purely on the color of their skin. We’ve also heard the stories of non-Lebanese people being refused access to swimming pools. It’s hard to believe it’s 2011 sometimes in this city.

Instead of embracing a sort of multiculturalism, instead of learning some new languages, customs and cuisines, we marginalize the very people that could enrich our social fabric and move us away from the navel-gazing self-delusional chauvinistic and sectarian pseudo-patriotism we bandy about.

We are nothing. We are a country of 4 million people that doesn’t have electricity, running water or functioning Internet in 2011. How dare we look down upon others? It’s time for some soul-searching, as a nation. The world is passing us by; we are decades behind most of the region in a million ways.

Sunday night I was ashamed to be Lebanese. But I didn’t want to create a scene. But my girlfriend forced us to, and she was right. Edmund Burke said that the only thing needed for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. I’m not pompous or self-interested enough to claim I’m a good man. But I will never stay silent when I see that kind of behavior again. And maybe, one day, I won’t be ashamed on the flight back to Beirut.

Istanbul.

28 Responses to “Weekend Escapes and the Casual Racist.”

1. Joe' s Box
    March 8, 2011 at 10:43 am #

What a souvenir after a vacation…sorry to hear that, but your girl friend is right, you have to create a scene every time coming to Beirut and say it out loud , cause i am sure people like Him will never read interesting articles…
    P.S; Mabrouk the new design!

2. Lina
    March 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

While this account applies to some Lebanese, it doesn’t not apply to all of us. Please do not generalize.

March 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Lina – Of course! Thankfully it doesn’t apply to all of us, that would be a truly horrendous scenario. But the fact that it is so present, so widespread and so accepted is really a source of concern. Don’t you think?
    There are many things to be proud of as Lebanese, but absolutely nothing can justify the behavior we witnessed on that plane or the behavior we witness daily around Beirut.

4. a guy you know
    March 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Hmmm… yes it is 2011 but some of the same small minded people that were around in 2010 are still here… be they lebanese or other.

btw you should have posted a photo of him here with this article.

5. Katharina H.
    March 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

I very much agree with you!

6. Max Milligan
    March 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Another insightful article, Nasri. Well done, mate.

What a jerk that guy was, and I wish you had confronted him personally.

7. Marillionlb
    March 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

Although I agree with you that such racism is outrageous in this day and age; Lebanon has come a long way from the times of our fathers and such occurrences are not as frequent as they use to be. I would advise you to check in some neighboring Arab countries how migrant workers are treated (ie: in Kuwait a typical discussion between two housewives with regards to their respective “maids” would be like “Hindiyatek chou jensiyta?”).
    Boutros Harb has drafted a new law in that respect in the hope that it will pass through government (when one will actually be formed).
    We still have a long way to go before we become “a nation”, my hope is in your generation.
    Keep well and keep voicing your opinion.

F.H

8. so la
    March 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

it’s hard not to generalise, get the the same exact death-of-humanity feeling everytime I grab a plain back to lebanon, its like entering a high predictability zone. sad. very.

9. Jad
    March 9, 2011 at 5:37 am #

10. Ronald
    March 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

First, let me say, what an incredibly good read this is…

Second, I do not tolerate racism, and since I have a plane load of grudges against MEA and its operating policies, this is kind of like the last straw.

I do not want to sound hopeless and defeatist like the pilot, but I understand his position, and would hate to be in it.

It’s great that this is out in the open, I have seen this kind of behavior in other flights to the Middle East, mostly on budget airlines. The Sri-Lankan and other Indian workers are usually bunched up in the back like they are being segregated, that is done by the ground crew and looks too orchestrated to not be a policy. I’d like to know who issued that unofficial policy and under what pretext other than pure racism.

Lebanese people always complain that Indians have a sort of smell, they do in fact, but to them we stink as well… and the stench that comes out of us not only olfactory, it’s racial…

Every day that passes, I get more and more ashamed of being Lebanese, and I echo the writer’s sentiments fully…
    Your girlfriend was right, next time i would do my best to delay the flight and let the local authorities intervene and arrest someone, maybe then our distracted politicians would do something about it…

March 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

A guy I know – I’d switched off my camera phone at that point since we were buckled up and ready to go. Respecting air travel regulations ☺

Katharina – Thanks!

Max – It’s odd how we’re conditioned not to seek confrontation on an aircraft. I would have spoken to him directly in another setting, but felt going through staff was more appropriate here.

Marillion – I’m sad to see that my generation doesn’t care as much as it should sometimes!

So-la – high predictability zone. I like that. They should make signs outside cafes and bars in Beirut.

Jad – thanks for the link. I’d seen that a few months ago. Shocking.

Ronald – Thank you!
    You’re quite right, Middle East Airlines isn’t the culprit here. It’s that gross vile man. I would have loved the staff to react differently, but I guess they can’t at the moment and they have time considerations etc etc. The problem is much deeper, and this was just one anecdotal episode. The problem happens daily and hourly across Lebanon and it’s time we started protecting people’s rights.

12. [ j i m m y ]
    March 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

nasri, i’m reposting my comment from your other blog here.

reading it reminds me of an incident i witnessed this week and that i was planning to write about.

i am enraged by scenes of racism, especially of an employer abusing their status as a paymaster to ill-treat a migrant worker: stupid rich housewives mistreating their maids or business owners humiliating their migrant staff. such scenes shake me to the core. unfortunately, these scene are so common in this society that racism has become the equivalent of ‘common sense’. for example, it is perfectly normal for a group of lebanese to discuss what they call ‘the inferiority’ of the migrant nationalities they employ and to mock them, sometimes in their presence, without being challenged.

the racism of petty, ignorant and dictatorial merchants breaks my heart.

my girlfriend and i were buying a zaatar man’ouche at the old wooden bakery branch on jal-el-dib highway on monday afternoon. for the uninitiated, the ‘wooden bakery’ is a multimillion dollar business throughout lebanon, whose income is generated by the sweat and pain and hard effort of many unnoticed immigrant workers.

while waiting for our man’ouche, and as we were making small talk with the friendly egyptian baker who was wrapping carefully preparing it, he asked us what we thought of the revolution of his people in egypt. delighted, i said that we admired their revolt against a dictator and that we support his people in these interesting times.

as i said this, and out of the blue, the bakery’s manager walked across from the other side of the shop, intercepted us and uttered mockingly, in the presence of the egyptian baker, that this revolution is nothing but an american plot. he then paused and barked: ‘the egyptian people are a dumb people’.

his violent statement left me in awe. at first, i thought he was being sarcastic, so i asked him: ‘what do you mean?’. he responded confidently: ‘they are a population of eighty million dumb people!’. i was still in shock, trying to formulate my reply, when the egyptian baker put his job, source of income and residency in lebanon on the line, and responded quietly and firmly with a statement that totally broke my heart: ‘we are not a dumb people’.

by that time, my silent fury had reached its peak. i breathed, looked the manager in the eyes and said firmly and patiently: ‘how dare you say that? how could you call the people of a whole nation dumb?’. he responded: ‘because they’re dumb’.

so by then, i decided i was going to let him have it. it said: ‘they’re not dumb! if anything, they’re far more civilized than you and your people. their history, their land, culture, industry and geopolitical importance put yours to shame. who are you to be judging eighty million with a sweeping statement? at least they know how to coexist peacefully, while four million of you, individualistic self-serving lebanese can’t even live a single day in peace. you’re nothing but a prey to your warlords and to blind sectarianism. all you care about is how to individualistically chase money and power, at the expense of your community. you’re a bunch of shortsighted merchants, and you call the egyptians dumb?’.

he was uttering a few words when, furious, we walked out of the bakery and sat on the sidewalk, eating our man’ouche and watching the noisy, polluted and chaotic jal-el-dib street that the bakery overlooks.

i am dazzled by the decaying morality of a large proportion of the lebanese. dazzled by how a people who’s got money and university degrees coming out of their ears, can be so pathetically short-sighted and self-obsessed.

the cumulative total of the time the lebanese have spent mercilessly killing each other exceeds the total that they’ve spent in peace. as you put it, even in 2011, they still can’t make a stupid power grid work, they can’t supply themselves with potable water in a land that receives 900mm of rain per annuum, and they’ve got one of the poorest internet infrastructures of the planet. everything about the lebanese is shiny on the outside, and rotting and mediocre on the inside. a disgustingly materialistic, exhibitionist, self-obsessed and intolerant people. and yet, they dare judge, discriminate against, and abuse others.

standing outside that bakery on monday, i wished i could grab that racist fuckhead of a manager and shake him so hard that he wakes up to the realities of humanity, and sees his stone age nation for what it really is. but then i realized, just like i do everyday, that i’d better put my effort in those places where my chances of making a difference are higher than nil.

i’ve totally given up on the lebanese.

13. ozge
    March 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

nasri, it will not make you less frustrated but you would have an exact similar experience on a reverse flight heading to istanbul. i actually experienced a similar attitude in a light to istanbul once. this country is also full of everyday discrimination, racism and xenophobia…

14. Gass
    March 9, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

Shit hole full of racist and mentally disturbed people. That’s what Lebanon is today. Nasri , I m sure you mentioned just to moderate your text . I am not proud of ANYTHING. Racism is rampant on all levels!

15. Lebanese American
    March 10, 2011 at 7:35 am #

Thank you for bringing up a great story about a great disease that needs to be cured (with no ifs or buts).
    It is shameful to see what happened on your flight, yet it is as shameful to denounce an entire country for the act of few. Some said “I am ashamed to be Lebanese”. I say if you are that much ashamed, then you should do something about it, i.e. educate your friends and family about the human equality. Join a group of humane society (don’t just talk for sake of talking). It is not wrong to have and Indian or any other nationality maid, yet it is wrong to treat them bad. They need that job (trust me, it’s better than the jobs they have in their own countries). Again treat them right (as human). Turn your negative energy to positive energy.
    Please be reminded that those of us who live in civilized countries, we learned how to accept all mankind equally (if we were born in Lebanon, we didn’t learn that). I don’t think we were born that civilized in Lebanon especially that we still hate each other for being born of a different religion or because of our class or where we live.
    Here is a small story to refresh your soul. I was born in Lebanon and I learned from all the kids to throw stones and beat up dogs. It was the trend in Lebanon at that time. Since I moved to the States, I developed a passion and love towards dogs after seeing how people love their dogs and how they are willing to pick up their dog’s poops while they walk them. I learned that dogs should not be treated brutally. I still feel sad when I remember the brutality of my actions towards those helpless animals that did nothing to me. I became a dog lover and I even have a dog in my house that I treat with respect and love. He is the first one to greet me at the door upon my arrival home, after a long day at work. I joined the animal humane society to help as many animals as I can.
    The moral to this story is to tell you use your positive energy by joining a group that helps the world against these bigots instead of just chastising the entire Lebanese population and Arab citizens. Just look how learning and teaching the Internet changed the entire course in the Arab world to a more pure democracy unaided by foreign super powers.
    With all due respect yours, AH

16. Caline M
    March 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

Loved reading your story Nasri. It’s so sad you had to witness that but to be honest, I’m not at all surprised.
    When the world started perceiving “us” as the “nicest, most fun-loving, outgoing” people, the Lebanese became arrogant (no surprise there either) and honestly believed they were God’s gift to earth. I hate that mentality, it’s disgusting and it has put me off Lebanon and the people (which wasn’t too hard in the first place, and I can say that because I’m Lebanese.)
    I can totally relate to your feeling of encountering that slow metamorphosis into “bajam-men” once at the airport gate as I did it for a year and it makes you realise how you are completely disconnected from that type of people (grasping onto your British passport like it’s the only thing around that defines you.) At the end of the day, you can’t educate every fool out there and God knows how many there are. After moving to the UAE from Lebanon, I realised how people from other races got treated equally there – incomparable to Lebanon where most people still believe in slavery – and it’s refreshing. It also makes you realise how brainwashed you can become in Lebanon, as so many act this way and make it seem like it’s ok. It’s sad because Lebanon is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and it’s people like that who ruin our reputation.
    I hope you get out soon my friend, before you get completely put off your own country, like I have.
    On a side note, I miss you sharky! :) xxx

17. Nisrine
    March 10, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

Nasri, delighted to come across your article via a friend on Facebook.

I left Lebanon almost a decade ago and feel that nothing has moved on, if anything, matters seem to have gotten worse.

The Lebanese are very schizophrenic and look down on the rest of the world from their high horse. I, obviously, do not mean to make a sweeping statement, it’s just an observation..

We think we’re something special, you just have to hear the constant comments on how “educated the Lebanese are”, “how bright and upbeat and sociable” (yes, yes, the sun shines out of our asses) but we still ask the Air Hostess to shove the “black man” in the back!

I also have to say, I reacted warmly to your comment on the Lebanese leaving their manners at the door as soon as they’re back in Lebanon. How many times have I seen that first hand: trained puppies in Paris or London to wild dogs in Libnen!!!

Anyway, you clearly have a better way with words and structured thoughts than I do (that would be why you can write compelling content) but I thought I’d share my views… :)

18. Farah
    March 10, 2011 at 11:32 pm #

Once again, thank you Nasri for taking the time to react and write this to share with the world and Lebanese people in specific what sort of world they live in and allow.

Lina, I cant believe you seriously replied with that to such a post? Is this all you could say after reading such a story? You are hurt about the reputation of Lebanon and your Lebanese people? Is that the only thing that stopped you? Nothing else in the content of the post warranted a reaction from you? And you dare say don’t generalize. Ugh. Lebanese pride.

Marillionlb, wow what an insight and piece of advice. Saying that here the situation is any better than any other places. Helllo? Where do u guys live? In your own little fake bubble refusing to see or hear what is around u? Wake up. No.The situation is no better here than it is in other Arab countries. Even if it is, this argument doesn’t answer to the fact that most migrant domestic workers are treated like animals and/or commodities in this country. If elsewhere it is bad, it doesnt mean that (if) it’s a lil less bad here, yaani we should clap for that. AND “srilankitik min wein, srilankiti min ethiopia” is no strange from the Lebanese everyday discourse at all. Srilankiyyi FYI is a noun in this country not a nationality.

The work that the Ministry of Labour and/or Boutros Harb is nothing beyond BS and “d07ik 3al d2oun” as they say in Lebanese. If Boutros Harb isn’t going to Geneva to represent Lebanon with all other Labor ministers in a couple of weeks and is in deep shit concerning the bad reputation we have built lately and the big open eyes on us and the MDW situation here, he wouldn’t have proposed anything now, regardless of whether we think this draft new law is any good or not. Bcoz reality says it, this law is completely insufficient and does not address the major concerns advocates have been calling for for years here.

Ronald, I agree with you.

Jimmy, as I said on the ARM blog, I second every word you said. I am glad you answered back to the animal at Wooden Bakery. If I was in your place, I would have forced the racist and ignorant manager to apologize and if he doesn’t (obviously) I would ask for his line manager and report him. If this doesn’t work, I would have made a bigger fuss about the whole wooden bakery place and the people it staffs. Seriously pathetic system we live and are raised under in this wanna-be-country.

19. Elisabeth K
    March 12, 2011 at 1:31 am #

All I can say is I’m saddened to be Lebanese, I find this type of inhumane and discriminatory behavior totally appalling!
    The worst thing is, us Lebanese are very often subjected to racism in the west, you’d think that would make us more tolerant and compassionate with foreigners in our home country but NO! Instead we treat them like animals,like second class citizens!
    Last time I checked, all of us fall under the human being “category” regardless of our ethnic origin, skin color, gender or nationality! Nasri and Jimmy, I applaud your efforts of fighting and speaking out against this shameful behavior! Hopefully if others unite their voices to yours, you’d be able to reach a bigger number of people and make them reconsider and question the way they see others that are different.
    Judging by the replies you got, it’s fair to say not all hope is lost for the Lebanese, what a relief!

20. Tony Sayegh
    March 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

Dear Nasri,

Sorry for my late comments. I am not surprised you’re outraged.
    You make a great case and I totally agree with you .Unfortunately,
    bigotry still takes a deep seat in many societies and for different
    reasons. In the West, civility protects bigots from themselves. In the
    East however, civility, or enough of it, is still lacking.
    Many of our “political leaders” still build their credentials on how much rejection they show to others and on national TV and newspapers, using language not fit to print in the cheapest of tabloids.
    Civility covers a multitude of social sins.
    The day we start accepting each other for who we are and what we are, we will sit next to your “victim” and hope to have a safe trip.

Not only was I impressed with your article, I was just as impressed by the number of positive comments it triggered. That is a hopeful sign indeed.

Finally Nasri, you have every right to claim being a good man and not only by Burke’s standard.

Regards,
    Tony Sayegh
    PS. We only saw a photo of Istanbul. How did the city strike you?

21. Christine
    March 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Great article. However, the Lebanese legislation FORBIDS such behavior.

The people trying to get in to Sporting with their black friend could have filed a lawsuit against the club. Law would have been by their side.
    It also applies to the black man on the plane. Why the hell did he agree to change his seat??? If it’s the seat assigned to him on the ticket, no one has the right to move him.

Finally, BREAKING NEWS: all countries are racist. French people have a racist mentality towards Arabs and Muslims, Americans are racist towards blacks and Arabs, etc. Racism is not only seen in Lebanon!!!

Even though no one will admit it openly, French people unconsciously prefer to hire/live next to Frenchmen than Algerian or Black immigrants.

Maybe in Lebanon it’s more openly showed, but trust me, it’s present everywhere. Sadly, this is the reality of the world we live in.

22. sue
    May 18, 2011 at 4:22 am #

Good lord, what is wrong with people?!
    People need to get down off their bloody high horse – seriously.
    “All human beings are born free and equal” – no?

“…Dozens of people who’ve been acting in a perfectly civil manner for the last few days, suddenly revert to their basest instincts…”
    I need some clarification as to why many Lebanese (not all of them course, and this exists in every cultural group/society as well) insist on trashing their own country, whether it’s literally polluting the environment, or polluting it with this rotten attitude and heir of arrogance towards others…
    It’s truly sad and disappointing to read your account of this incident, but even though you and others have stated that it’s 2011 – I don’t think that really matters. As long as someone views another human being as the “other” – as inferior, and as being different is a bad thing – then unfortunately, we’ll continue to see this kind of repulsive behaviour. What is the solution here though? Advocacy or Public Service Announcements?!! Relying on the government is certainly out of the question…I think a grassroots/arts movement is one way to hopefully further address the issue. But hats off to you sir – as you’ve taken the first step in the process, and that you’ve written/spoken about the problem…

23. Omar
    August 12, 2011 at 8:13 am #

You’ve seen nothing yet, wait till we start drilling for oil..

24. Ali Elachkar
    December 5, 2011 at 12:27 am #

Hey Man, I stumbled upon your blog a few days ago. Im 21, born and raised in the states, been back to lebanon a couple times. I must say, I share a lot of your thoughts.

In terms of race, my grandma tells me regularly that I need to marry a light woman because “no one wants dark children”. She sees nothing wrong in her statements what so ever. It’s really quite shocking.

The amount of pride Lebanese people have is shocking, seeing as Lebanon is in many ways stuck in the cave man era. I almost feel like Pride is a chief reason why; we fool ourselves into thinking we are some big fish, when in reality we are anything but.

Keep up the good work playa, let me know if you ever come to Los Angeles. We have some real dance floors around here 😛

December 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

Ali Elachkar – Ha. Thanks. I might take you up on that LA tour! :)

26. Donnie Arce
    February 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

I appericiate your article a lot. Excellent =p

1. Blog Baladi – A Lebanese Blog » MEA and racism - March 9, 2011

[…] is the blog that has the post on this incident [Link] I found out about this story from the Lebanese Anti Racism Movement blog [Here] Mar 9, 2011 | 0 […]

2. Racism nonsense « nonsensewriter - May 23, 2012

[…] , they forced the black man to change his seat. A couple witnessed this incident and wrote a full story about it. […]